Friday 8 January 2016

25th Completed Drama: Oh My Venus

Oh My Venus
Synonyms: Oh My God
Episodes: 16
Country: South Korea
Aired: Nov. 16, 2015 - Jan. 5, 2016
Network: KBS
Duration: 60 mins.
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Viewers Rating: 8.4/10
My Rating: 8.5/10

Synopsis: Kim Young Ho is a personal trainer for Hollywood stars. Even though he comes from a wealthy family background, he suffered a devastating injury during his childhood days. Now, he overcomes his problems with patience and stubbornness. Kang Joo Eun is a 33-year-old lawyer who has struggled to support her family. Now, she's overweight and not as attractive. These both go on a diet together, which leads to them becoming healthier and having a romantic relationship.

Cast: So Ji Sub - Kim Young Ho/John Kim
Shin Min Ah - Kang Joo Eun
Yoo In Young - Oh Soo Jin
Jung Gyu Woon - Im Woo Shik

Review

General Impressions:
So Ji Sub had finally returned to our screens after his extremely popular drama, The Master's Sun, from 2013 (and his 2014 drama of One Sunny Day). We were anticipating a lot from the actor that just screams sexiness, and that's exactly what we got. Oh My Venus even went to great lengths to show us how sexy this man can be. A lot of people were excited for Shin Min Ah as well since she hasn't done a drama since 2012, and the only recent news we heard from her was her relationship status update with Kim Woo Bin. So let's say that this drama was very hyped and it came out quite well to how people wanted it to be.

Story: 8.0/10
The story itself wasn't that interesting when you read the synopsis, it could even be seen as boring. I don't think anybody started watching Oh My Venus for the plot, it was only for the actors. But I can say that the writers made this drama so much better from how it sounded. The amount of cute and sexy scenes between Kang Joo Eun and Kim Young Ho just made it so delightful to watch and it genuinely felt like a real love story. However, there were a few flaws to this series. Firstly, the relationship between Oh Soo Jin and Im Woo Shik felt absolutely pointless. I did not see a reason why that couple was necessary. They served no purpose. Secondly, rich guy-poorer girl cliche. Lastly, scenes with Choi Hye Ran and Choi Nam Chul were kind of idiotic.

Acting/Cast: 9.0/10
Ah, the acting in this was brilliant. So Ji Sub knows how to impress and he's definitely got my attention for his future dramas. Also, his body. Oh. My. God. I had to give myself a moment when I saw him like that. Anyway, Shin Min Ah isn't the most perfect actress I've seen but she does her job extremely well, this drama gave her a boost in her career. Lau Henry and Sung Hoon are now on my to-look-out-for list because they are such great actors, especially Hoon. I want to see him in a leading role in the near future. The only acting choice I had a problem with was Yoo In Young. I don't know if I'm the only one who doesn't like her acting, but I never feel like she does her job to her best potential. I felt the same way when I watched Mask. Unfortunately, she's on my blacklist of actors and I just hope that her acting improves for Moon Lovers (if she does accept the offer).

Music: 8.5/10
I loved the music, especially the soundtracks of Beautiful Lady and Darling U. I had them on my tumblr dashboard for several weeks. The other tracks I didn't quite love as much as these two, but they are worth a listen for anyone interested.

Rewatch Value: 8.5/10
I would rewatch Oh My Venus if I needed some sexy body and cute/erotic scenes to watch.

Overall: 8.5/10
Oh My Venus, I would say, was a success and I look forward to seeing more from the writer and most of the actors. The only things that ruined it slightly was Yoo In Young (again, my opinion) and the writing errors. But I would definitely recommend to anyone wanting an adorable romcom.

Joo Eun + Young Ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment