Wednesday 25 November 2015

24th Completed Drama: She Was Pretty

She Was Pretty
Synonyms: She Was Beautiful, Puzzled Lovers
Episodes: 16
Country: South Korea
Aired: Sep. 16, 2015 - Nov. 11, 2015
Network: MBC
Duration: 60 mins.
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Viewers Rating: 8.5/10
My Rating: 8.5/10

Synopsis: Kim Hye Jin was a very pretty girl from a rich family. After her family's publishing company went bankrupt, she experienced hardships then lost her beauty too. Ji Seong Joon was an unattractive boy with low self-esteem, but grows up as a handsome and successful editor.

Cast: Hwang Jung Eum - Kim Hye Jin
Park Seo Joon - Ji Seong Joon
Go Joon Hee - Min Ha Ri
Choi Siwon - Kim Shin Hyeok

Review

General Impressions:
It's been about 10 days since I've finished She Was Pretty and I still remember how the lackluster of this drama ended. The anticipation was high due to Hwang Jung Eum and Park Seo Joon coming together again from their huge success with Kill Me, Heal Me. However, in my opinion, it didn't live up to the expectations. I enjoyed the story, the acting and the music, but there was no spark to bring She Was Pretty to life.

Story: 7.5/10
Okay, so for the story, we have a love square with the majority working together at the same company and/or having a lot of money. Cliche much? Extremely so. The character that picked this drama up was Kim Shin Hyeok. He was one of the best second-lead characters I have ever seen, he just knew how to entertain his peers and become loved by all. And yet again, we have the best character overlooked by our main heroine. I'm sorry, but Shin Hyeok has pretty much everything (personality, looks, charisma, etc.), and yet, he doesn't win. Anyway, besides the fangirl-breaking-of-hearts, the plot could have been better, but despite everything negative about the story, it could be quite enjoyable.

Acting/Cast: 9.5/10
Now, this is what I'm talking about. Hwang Jung Eum. Park Seo Joon. Go Joon Hee. Siwon of SUPERJUNIOR. What a line up. Everyone thought they couldn't get past the idea of Jung Eum and Seo Joon going from siblings to lovers, but that was forgotten about completely as soon as the fourth episode ended. That is just how well done these actors are, and the directors and writers should be proud of their acting choices. I don't want to babble on so much about how amazing these actors are, but there are a few things I want to say about Siwon. Firstly, thank you for making me laugh so much. He pulled off Shin Hyeok's character amazingly and I'm so glad to see him diverge from his normal, chaebol-like characters (although Shin Hyeok is still a rich character). After She Was Pretty ended, you have no idea how much pain I felt knowing Siwon was going to leave about a week later for his military service and I couldn't see him again for two years. Good luck Siwon in the army!

Music: 9.0/10
I don't think I've found a drama where I have disliked the music. The soundtrack for this drama was superb, and I especially loved the track of Only You by Siwon himself. It has such a lovely tone and I could not help falling in love with it (along with Siwon again). Not much else to say, just listen to the soundtrack if you haven't.

Rewatch Value: 7.5/10
I doubt I will watch She Was Pretty again. As much as I loved the amusement that this drama brought me, I can't going through Shin Hyeok-Hye Jin scenes again without mentally crying.

Final Verdict: 8.5/10
Overall, acting and music for She Was Pretty was absolutely brilliant and I could not complain, however, the story was a bit of mess and over-the-top cliche. Writers, you need to step up your game with drama stories and make more unusual ideas.

Hye Jin, Seong Joon, Ha Ri + Shin Hyeok.

No comments:

Post a Comment