Sunday 21 June 2015

3rd Completed Movie: Twenty

Twenty
Country: South Korea
Release Date: Mar. 25, 2015
Duration: 1 hr. 55 mins.
Genres: Comedy, Friendship, Romance
Viewers Rating: 8.4/10
My Rating: 8.5/10

Synopsis: Chi Ho, Dong Woo and Gyeong Jae have been best friends since high school. Now, they are all 20-year-olds. Chi Ho has a girlfriend, So Min, but he only thinks about wooing other women. An accident leads to Chi Ho to spend time with aspiring actress Eun Hye. Dong Woo hopes to work as a comic artist, but his family's poor financial situation has Dong Woo juggling several part-time jobs. So Hee is the younger sister of Gyeong Jae and she just adores Dong Woo. Gyeong Jae is a freshman in college. He hopes to land a job with a large corporation. Gyeong Jae then meets an upperclassman, Jin Joo, who takes an interest in him and he falls in love with her.

Cast: Kim Woo Bin - Chi Ho
Lee Jun Ho - Dong Woo
Kang Ha Neul - Gyeong Jae

Review
Contains a lot of spoilers!

General Impressions:
Twenty came as a pleasant surprise for me because I wasn't expecting it to be as absorbing as it was. The main reason I wanted to watch this movie in the first place is because of Kim Woo Bin. Let's be honest, he is the reason most of us wanted to watch this movie. He's a brilliant actor and anything he's in turns out very well, and we were going to be seeing a new side of him in this movie as well. Silly, funny and strange, unlike his other serious and mouthwatering characters. Anyway, I'm glad I watched this movie because it was a great laugh and it didn't at all make me regret missing some hours for my Spanish revision.

Story: 9.0/10
The story of this movie ended up being a lot more perverted than I expected it to be. In general, it was about three twenty-year-olds wanting to have sex. There was a lot of scenes of them discussing on how to get laid, a massive ton of sexual innuendos, and even a caught scene of Gyeong Jae. But all of this just made the comedy aspect of the movie greater, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But as the movie went on, three great love stories grew, with Chi Hoo's the only one failing. Gyeong Jae fell in love with his upperclassman, but she was in a relationship with a teacher, and so his story went towards So Min - Chi Hoo's ex. Dong Woo struggled with life, but grew to like Gyeong Jae's younger sister - So Hee. And lastly, Chi Hoo fell in love with the aspiring actress, Eun Hye, but to reach her goals of fame, she turned to a sugar daddy and left Chi Hoo behind. Some of it was cringe-worthy, some was upsetting and some of it was hilarious. It was a great watch and I do recommend.

Acting/Cast: 9.5/10
To reach a certain level of greatness in a movie, the actors have the most important part of surpassing that. And I can say that the actors in this movie did an amazing job. First off, Kim Woo Bin. For once, he's not some smart and serious character that everyone falls for. His character is an ass, he's pretty stupid and he only thinks of having sex. But this only shows that Kim Woo Bin can reach great levels of acting, serious and silly. My respect for him has reached yet another level. Lee Jun Ho and Kang Ha Neul's acting was also very good, and I had a great laugh with each of their characters. I also liked Lee Yu Bi's acting of So Hee, and it's great seeing her in another media after Pinocchio. My only problem with the actors was the actress who played Eun Hye - Jung Joo Yeon. She really did see her character through well, but when she was breaking away for Chi Hoo, I felt like her acting was slightly stiff. That was the only problem though.

Music: 7.0/10
The music for this was reasonably low compared to everything else because none of it was memorable, and they reused a classic song in the massive fight scene near the end of the movie. I feel like they should have either used a less known song, or created their own melody for that scene. Besides those two, nothing much else to say about the music category.

Re-watch Value: 10/10
I would love to see the movie again. It was hilarious, and I know I can count on this movie to help cheer me up when I'm down or upset. Although Chi Hoo and Eun Hye's ending won't exactly help much with that, it would help me get my mind off other things. I am definitely going to introduce this movie to my friends because I know they would enjoy it very much.

Final Verdict: 8.5/10
Overall, besides Chi Hoo and Eun Hye's relationship completely falling apart because of her stupid decision, Jung Joo Yeon's acting being stiff during her last scene, and the music not being at all memorable, it was a great film to enjoy and was definitely worth all of the hype.

Gyeong Jae, Chi Ho + Dong Woo.

No comments:

Post a Comment