Saturday 23 May 2015

11th Completed Drama: The Girl Who Sees Smells

The Girl Who Sees Smells
Synonyms: The Girl Who Sees Scents; Sensory Couple
Episodes: 16
Country: South Korea
Aired: Apr. 1, 2015 - May 21, 2015
Network: SBS
Duration: 1 hr. 10 mins.
Genres: Comedy, Investigation, Manga, Romance, Supernatural
Viewers Rating: 8.3/10
My Rating: 9.0/10

Synopsis: Officer Choi Moo Gak lost his younger sister to a barcode murder case and lost his ability to taste, smell, and feel pain. He then meet a girl named Oh Cho Rim, who is the only witness to the murder case and possesses a special sixth sense, which is the ability to see smells.

Cast: Park Yoo Chun - Choi Moo Gak
Shin Se Kyung - Oh Cho Rim/Choi Eun Seol
Nam Goong Min - Kwon Jae Hee
Yoon Jin Seo - Yeom Mi

Review
Contains a lot of spoilers!

First Impressions:
At first, I quite skeptical in watching The Girl Who Sees Smells because it didn't sound like something I would be interested in and I haven't watched any dramas with the main actors in them, but I have thoroughly enjoyed TGWSS and it was a good run.

Story: 8.0/10
The story itself was very good. It was something original and I loved the animation that went into Cho Rim's visuals when seeing scents. It was very interesting, and it left with really good cliff hangers. However, the story quality seemed to drop slightly near the end, especially during the last two episodes. Probably the only interesting event during the last few episodes was when Kwon Jae Hee made a mistake with who he captured. When we found out that Jae Hee and five police officers fell into the river, this felt really cliche as I knew he would have survived. And also, when Jae Hee tried to push Choi Moo Gak over the edge of the building but ending up falling himself, that was so predictable that I pretty much sighed. Story was really good in the beginning but fell apart near the end.

Acting/Cast: 9.0/10
The cast was very well done and Park Yoo Chun's final character before he leaves for his military service was a good one to leave behind. I can know for sure that he'll be missed when he's away and everyone will be excited for his return to the screen. I also loved Yoon Jin Seo and Nam Goong Min's acting and characters - they almost stole the show for me. I also liked all three detectives that worked by Moo Gak and Yeom Mi's side. And as she had done before, Shin Se Kyung's acting wasn't up to scratch. I loved her at first, especially when she was going around finding people's scents - it was very fun. But during the last two episodes, her reactions and acting felt forced and fake, and I couldn't enjoy the ending as I wish I could have.

Music: 9.0/10
The music was also very good. I loved the soundtrack of Confusing by JuB and Yi Jeong. I can remember listening to that soundtrack when I was just out and about. However, this was all I could really love from the soundtrack. No other track stood out, and it should have.

Re-watch Value: 8.5/10
There is a possibility of me rewatching The Girl Who Sees Smells, but not very much. I would definitely prefer watching something else and this drama isn't a high priority for me to watch again.

Final Verdict: 9.0/10
Overall, this drama could have done with improving. If Se Kyung's acting of Cho Rim/Eun Seol was better during the latter half of the drama, I would have enjoyed the drama more. And if the drama had stopped after Jae Hee was captured the first time and they had a peaceful wedding, it would have been a much better drama.

Jae Hee, Cho Rim, Moo Gak + Yeom Mi.

+ Park Yoo Chun
+ Visuals of Scents
+ Kwon Jae Hee
+ Soundtracks
- Shin Se Kyung
- Fell apart near ending

No comments:

Post a Comment