Sunday 26 April 2015

9th Completed Drama: Blood

Blood
Episodes: 20
Country: South Korea
Aired: Feb. 16, 2015 - Apr. 21, 2015
Network: KBS2
Duration: 1 hr. 5 mins.
Genres: Medical, Melodrama, Romance, Vampire
Viewers Rating: 7.5/10
My Rating: 9.0/10

Synopsis: Park Ji Sang is a doctor specializing in hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery in the best cancer research hospital in the country. He is also a vampire. Despite seeming cold and unfeeling, Ji Sang masks his soft heart and inner pain and yearns for closeness with people. He believes very strongly in the sanctity of human life, and suppresses his thirst for blood to treat terminally ill patients and saves lives.
Among his colleagues is Yoo Ri Ta, a hotshot physician who entered medical school at the age of 17 and is also the niece of the chaebol group chairman who owns the hospital. Ri Ta is highly capable but snooty and prideful, yet Ji Sang finds himself falling for her. He also encounters Lee Jae Wook, a two-faced hospital chief who gains everyone's trust with his gentle demeanor, but inwardly harbors a dangerous ambition for power and a talent for cruelty.

Cast: Ahn Jae Hyun - Park Ji Sang
Goo Hye Sun - Yoo Ri Ta
Ji Jin Hee - Lee Jae Wook

Review
Contains a lot of spoilers!

First Impressions:
When I first started watching Blood, I wasn't expecting it to be all that great. The first two episodes were a bit stiff, and could have definitely have done with improvement. However, as the series progressed, I found myself wanting more. I needed more romance, more action, more medical emergencies, more cuteness, etc. And I got most of that.

Story: 9.0/10
The story of the show was pretty solid. It stuck to what we've been told, and even dropped in some good, but also bad bombshells. To be honest though, I wish we saw more surgeries. At the beginning of Blood, we saw maybe around three-four operations in the first couple of weeks, but near the end of the series, we didn't get to see a single one. It stuck to the romance, vampire and murder side of things. Don't get me wrong, I loved all of these elements, but more medical emergencies would have been nice. Also, unlike some people, I did like the open ending. It was different, and I loved seeing Ji Sang again. Whether it was Ri Ta's hallucination, or it actually happened, I don't know, but I do hope this may lead to a second season as it would be definite watch for me.

Characters/Acting: 7.5/10
The acting choices were alright, but not the greatest. Firstly, the actors who played Joo Hyun Woo, Min Ga Yun and Jung Ji Tae were all excellent and I loved their scenes particularly. I also loved Ahn Jae Hyun's acting of Park Ji Sang, however, I do wish he did a few more supporting roles before he did a main one (he's still the reason why I am watching and loving My Love From The Star though). Goo Hye Sun's acting of Yoo Ri Ta was also good, but she didn't really perceive Ri Ta's character like I thought she would. Lastly, Ji Jin Hee's acting was a bit stiff and repetitive, but good for the main villain.

Music: 6.5/10
The music was good, but not great. I loved the soundtrack when something bad was about to happen, like when Lee Jae Wook was about to kill someone. It was so great to listen to (I don't know the name of the soundtrack as it hasn't been released in the Blood OST yet). However, besides that one track, none of the other tracks were really memorable or interesting.

Re-watch Value: 8.5/10
Given half the chance, I would probably watch this drama again. If I didn't have other dramas and anime to watch, or homework to do, or things to read, I would watch Blood again. This drama has made me love watching Korean dramas and Ahn Jae Hyun himself.

Final Verdict: 9.0/10
Overall, the drama could have done with improving, but it's definitely a good watch. It's not "popular" Korean drama material, but it gives you a drama that some wouldn't have seen in quite a while. Going to miss this drama, and I'm looking forward to seeing Ahn Jae Hyun, Jung Hae In and Son Soo Hyeon again in the future.

Ri Ta + Ji Sang.

+ Ahn Jae Hyun
+ Great plot
+ Most casts acting
- Repetitiveness
- Hardly any memorable soundtracks

No comments:

Post a Comment